[Zosslist] Test

Thomas Baley trbaley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:31:57 EEST 2017

​Herb,

Clairefontaine paper is excellent, but us older retired guys may not have
the time to wait while it dries - the price you pay for that surface that
does not bleed or spider (relatively speaking​, compared to other papers).
I still use it but for purposes other than journaling because it is such an
excellent paper, with no tooth..

The finest fountain pen-friendly paper in the world, IMHO, is Tomoe River.
It comes in two flavors at the moment, thin and extra thin. As Rick and
others can tell you, my pens are all pretty much gushers and my primary
everyday carries are Pelikan M1000s, with nibs big enough to hoe the
garden. No problems with spidering or bleed on the Tomoe River paper. Over
the last several years, this paper has gradually become more and more
available outside Japan, until now you can find it in a lot of different
contexts, including journals meant to withstand years of use.

I highly recommend an article in this month's edition of Pen World Magazine
(June 2017 issue) titled *"it works"* (editor Nicky Pessarof seems to be
allergic to capital letters). The author, John Martinson, does an excellent
job of briefly detailing the short history of the paper in this country,
all the forms now available (including formidable journals), and itemizing
most of the sources for those products.  As a side note, if you do obtain a
copy of the magazine, ignore the pagination in the table of contents, as it
is all wrong. The article is on page 60, not page 34 as the TOC says.

I have a shelf full of beautiful journals, with Tibetan woven covers to
hand-tanned calf leather that will outlast me for centuries, but the paper
inside does not allow me to write on both sides. If only I had discovered
Tomoe River earlier in my life (like four or five decades earlier).

Tom Baley

Thomas R. Baley
(404) 307-6428
www.linkedin.com/in/tbaley