[Zosslist] Zosslist Digest, Vol 31, Issue 1

Vance R Koven vrkoven at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 17:14:12 EET 2018

David,

To amplify a little on what Jeff said, there’s no reason not to use a regular sac in a Conklin Crescent. What it sounds like is that there’s a problem with the pressure bar that forms the underside of the crescent (historical fun fact: Conklin’s patent doesn’t talk about a crescent at all, but calls this part a presser bar to which a rib is attached that goes through the barrel! Thanks to Richard Binder for linking to the patent from his site). There may be a bit of corrosion or something that is producing a sharp surface that punctures or abrades the sac. A simple case of filing, or perhaps replacement of the crescent, seems indicated. I’ve resacced Crescent fillers but never messed with the crescent itself. According to Dubiel, once you’ve removed the sac and section you just unlock the ring and the crescent will fall into the barrel so you can dump it out the end for inspection.

Vance

Vance R Koven
vrkoven at yahoo.com