[Zosslist] Montblanc Calligraphy Pen

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Fri Mar 6 17:31:05 EET 2020

I was intrigued with the introduction of the MB Calligraphy pen, it's an
18k nib on the familiar MB 149 pen.

It works as well as the vintage flex pens I have with one exception, it
doesn't snap back, but it writes very nicely.  (Oh, yeah?  I wrote that
before I tested it against my other FP flex pens!)  My MB racism is
showing, MB actually did a fabulous job!)

Here is the picture: http://qsl.net/n1ea/149.jpg

If they made a 14k model, I bet the  nib would spring back, you know like
then you can draw a downward line with the pen, apply pressure, have it
flex, and leave what I call "a string of pearls".  This pen cannot do that
even if you try to do it very slowly. What this nib does is more like a
microorganism with a tail.  (After the test, it seems the old 14k flex pens
weren't much better - I was thinking of my dip pens!)

I just took some old flex pens - and you know what?  The MB beat them, I
know I have better flex pens that will do a "string of pearls" but the
fountain pen flex pens aren't those.  I can do the string of pearls with my
dip pen nibs.

Here is a picture of what the MB Calligraphy 149 can do.
http://qsl.net/n1ea/149.jpg

I'm very impressed.  It's the equal of the flex pens I had in my pen cup on
my desk.

Best to all,
David Ring
Green Harbor, MA